What is the Budwig Protocol? It is a cancer protocol that was developed by Dr. Johanna Budwig (1908 – 2003), a German pharmacologist, chemist and physicist with a doctorate in physics. In the 1950s she developed a specific recipe of cottage cheese, or as she called it, “quark” and organic flaxseed oil. Specific quantities are blended together until the two products become “one.” Dr Budwig discovered that the chemical reaction produced at that point made the oil “water-soluble,” which becomes more easily absorbed into the cell membrane. This would normally be administered daily, along with other dietary changes/restrictions like no animal fats, no low-grade vegetable oils, no meat, no butter or margarine, and no sugar. Like other programs that emphasize eating foods in their natural state, the basic rule with the Budwig diet is “If God made it, then its fine!”
Does this protocol work on other conditions? Along with working to heal persons with cancer, they report at the Budwig Center that the Budwig diet has been successfully helping people with arthritis, asthma, fibromyalgia, diabetes, blood pressure issues, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, psoriasis, eczema, acne and other chronic conditions. To be honest, when I was sick I never knew or cared about other conditions that her protocol cured. I was only in my little “bubble” of fear and anxiety. What I have learned since that time, is that Dr. Budwig has said in her books that her healing plan works on “improving the overall cells of the body.” It does not matter where the diseased cells are located, or even what name is given to your illness, because the Budwig program addresses the basic cause of the illness in the first place. Personally, I do not find this unreasonable sounding at all! She just seemed like a really great woman, and doctor, and I am truly sorry that I never got to tell her how much “I” appreciated her protocol during my time of crisis.
The directions for the basic protocol are as follows:
- 2 Tbsp of freshly ground flaxseeds, ground in a coffee grinder. NOTE: Do not use already ground flaxseeds, as they will be rancid! ALSO, make sure that you eat your flaxseeds within 20 minutes of grinding, or they will not work!
- Mix the flaxseeds with 1 tsp of raw, unpasteurized honey. I just mix it with a spoon, in a cereal bowl.
- For every 1 Tbsp of flaxseed oil, you need 2 Tbsp of low-fat cottage cheese. Mix 2-3 Tbsp of organic flaxseed oil and 4-6 Tbsp of low-fat, organic cottage cheese together using a hand-held immersion blender. It mixes best when you add 1-2 Tbsp of milk, as the mixture is too thick otherwise. REMEMBER: It is adequately mixed when everything is of equal consistency and there are no strands of oil showing, and no clumps of cottage cheese. NOTE: The cottage cheese MUST have some fat in it, so do not buy fat-free or it will not work correctly.
- Dr. Budwig encouraged people to add fresh fruit or unsweetened applesauce, along with some cinnamon to make it taste better. NOTE: I cannot eat the mixture by itself because it is too oily for me to stomach, so I turn it into a parfait each time. I layer it in the cereal bowl, with the honey/flaxseed mixture on the bottom; then I add 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh fruit (peaches, strawberries and blueberries is my favorite!). Over this, I pour the cottage cheese/oil emulsion; and then I top it all off with ground cinnamon, walnuts and sometimes I add some dried cranberries. It’s delicious!
- Eat it within 20 minutes, as the cancer-fighting properties will expire. ALSO: Flaxseed oil has an expiration date and MUST be kept in the refrigerator. Any other oil will not work!
How often do I eat the mixture? Dr. Budwig would say that you should eat it a minimum of one time per day, and encouraged ill patients to have it two times per day. I ate this every morning as a healthy breakfast. Now, post-cancer, I still have it; although, I do not have it every day.
How much does this cost? Literally pennies a day. The oil is the most expensive thing, and can cost you $20-$30 for a bottle at health food stores.
Why is this not talked about by doctors? This is one of those crazy cancer stories that gets deliberately distorted by people who are in the mainstream medical profession. For as many “good” testimonials that you find on-line, you can find an equal amount of negative ones. It is widely known that Dr. Budwig met with many doctors, to discuss her findings, but they only wanted to be involved if they could turn it into a profitable business venture. This goes against everything that Dr. Budwig stood for.
Where can I learn more about this? I have listed a few links that you can check out below, but feel free to go on-line and do some research yourself. Dr. Budwig wrote several books that can educate you further about her cancer protocols, which also were helpful for other disease conditions. Also, I have a link to a Youtube video that will walk you through the entire history of her analysis of disease, what causes it, and what she recommends to cure it.
For more information, please feel free to check out the links below: